The overwhelming number of adoptees, 85%, adjusts in ways that society regards as successful. (Kadushin, A.1980). The remaining 15% require intervention by therapists and counselors. Those that adjust successfully may still have serious concerns resulting from the adoption process that are in need of a resolution. The absence of a disorder or dysfunction is not an indicator of one who is achieving optimum development. Since creating the best developmental setting for children is the goal of parenting I am going to explore the causes and goals of adoptee behaviors. I believe that understanding why adoptees behave is the key to creating the best opportunity for them to develop. It also leads the way to effective therapy.
Continue reading Understanding Adoptee Behavior
Adoption & Foster Family Therapist. Robert Allan Hafetz was born Marvin Lee Klein on 01/28/1951 at the Door of Hope Boothe Home in Jersey City New Jersey. Robert began his career in mental health at Temple University Hospital acute unit, Horsham Clinic, Foundations Behavioral Health and Warwick House residential treatment centers. Robert was past president of Adoption Forum, and PA. State Representative for the American Adoption Congress. He is a member of New Jersey Care Action Committee testifying as an expert witness before the New Jersey Senate and assembly. Robert published his memoir Not Remembered Never Forgotten in 2005. And Battling With the Shadows was published in the peer reviewed International Journal of Trauma Research and Practice. Robert is the founder of Adoption Education & Family Counseling LLC offering education, counseling professional staff training, and family therapy exclusively to adoptive and foster families. Robert has developed a treatment protocal specifically for adoptees.
Follow Robert on Twitter @roberthafetz or on Quora